Monday, May 11, 2009

After the Storm...

We are at MaMa's house where we have luxaries like hot water and electricity. Dan said that up until Friday, May 8th, he thought the internet was the greatest invention of all time. Now we know, that ELECTRICITY is still the holding that top spot!! We were very lucky that we are all safe and our house is in tact. I think that because the storm came through at 1:30, most people were in stable buildings such as schools and office buildings where there is shelter and the sirens were sounding. My biggest anxiety came from not being able to contact Baleigh's school or her teacher. Her school sits up on a small hill without a basement. I finally got to leave the high school at 3:00 and head to Giant City School. It took me 40 minutes to drive 3 miles. Trees and power lines were all over the place. I drove over 4 power lines, scraped the hell out of my Rainier going around a tree and through a ditch, but made it to my pumpkin safely. She was scared, but holding up pretty well. I told her to "buckle up tight and try to keep your jaw off your lap :) people are driving like maniacs and we may have to do some ditch-riding to get home, and you are not going to believe what you are about to see".

We spent the evening talking and texting, trying to get updates on how everyone's houses were. It didn't take long to find out that the damage was very widespread and that no one had power. We have heard that Ameren plans on getting most people hooked back up by Tuesday night, but we have Egyptian Electric and our old hometown neighbor Louie says that his "big wig" friends say it could be 2 weeks for us. School is the big unknown right now. We've heard a lot of rumors.

I thought I was going to post our Inland Hurricane pictures last night, but I forgot the dang camera cord! So, I searched on YouTube for a good video. Try this link or search for the title What the Hell was it? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ki-HacgTtW0&NR=1

I need to cut this short and get to my hot shower. Have a great week!

1 comment:

Bob and LouAnne said...

Well, finally! I guess it takes a hurricane to get you to update your blog! :)